Tuesday, February 06, 2007

VOIVOD - NOTHINGFACE (1989)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
As I mentioned in a previous post, as go Big Jack's moods, so goes G.O.M.E. This is a sentimental favorite of mine, having been one of the first CDs I owned. I still revisit it often, and even now, 18 years later, I still hear something I never noticed before. Mark my words, there are good albums, great albums, and classics...Nothingface is a MASTERPIECE. Most noteworthy, at least to me, is that while Piggy's (Denis D'Amour's) playing is as choaotic and innovative as ever, Nothingface's production is pinpoint precise. It SOUNDS like a prog-rock or math-metal album. VOIVOD's detractors always dismissed the band's sound as "dry" or "sterile", and those labels might apply to Nothingface, at least to a degree, but it's always been impossible to categorize VOIVOD. Piggy was one of rock's all-time most unorthadox guitarists, but the records never sounded sloppy. Chaotic? Yes. Sloppy? Never. I've always found VOIVOD, and Nothingface in particular, a great soundtrack for an altered state of consciousness. I guess for that reason alone this album belongs here. Chef's selections? "The Unknown Knows", "Into My Hypercube", and the brilliant cover of PINK FLOYD's "Astronomy Domine".

NOTE: For those just discovering VOIVOD, Piggy died in 2005, at the age of 45, shortly after being diagnosed with cancer. The band finished Katorz
with the tracks he'd already recorded, and released a fantastic album last summer. I suggest you order it.

1. Intro
2. The Unknown Knows
3. Nothingface
4. Astronomy Domine
5. Missing Sequences
6. X-Ray
7. Inner Combustion
8. Pre-Ignition
9. Into My Hypercube
10. Sub-Effect

DOWNLOAD

No comments: